Saturday, November 04, 2006

Top 10 Reasons Why...

Via an email so don't shoot the messenger....

Top 10 Reasons Why Men Won't Get Married

Young men want to get married. They really do. They want a wife, children and the house with the picket fence. They just don't want it right now. Instead, men ages 25 to 33 prefer to have fun, unencumbered by commitment and responsibility.That's the word from a new study called "The State of Our Unions" that concludes that young, educated, professional men don't want to commit to marriage, reports Ladies Home Journal. They place great value in the institution of marriage, but the single life beckons. Since today's men -- unlike their fathers and grandfathers -- don't have pressure from church, employers or society to get married, they aren't

The researchers interviewed 60 heterosexual men in Chicago, parts of New Jersey, Washington, D.C. and Houston. For the most part they were employed full-time and earned between $21,000 to $35,000 annually. Most had either attended some college or graduated. None of them were married, although three of the men were fathers.The top 10 reasons young men don't want to get married now:
1. They can have casual sex without marriage, something that is far more common today and accepted than in generations past.
2. By living with a girlfriend, they can enjoy all the benefits of a wife without having to say, "I do." This is a no-risk way to test the idea of marriage.
3. Men want to avoid the financial risks of divorce. What better way to do that than to not get married in the first place?
4. Since they don't have to worry about their biological clocks, men say they want to wait until they are older to have children. They really do not want to be pressured into marriage by a woman whose primary goal is to have kids.

5. Their greatest fear is that marriage will require too many changes, compromises and responsibilities. After all, it's a lot more fun to play poker with the boys all night long.
6. Men are romantics at heart. They believe in a soul mate, and they're willing to wait for her. What is a soul mate? Men define her as someone who accepts them just the way they are and does not want to change them. These men don't want to settle for second-best.
7. There are very few social pressures to marry. While their dads were pressured by religion, employers or society to settle down and say "I do," men today are free from that.
8. Men are reluctant to marry a woman who already has children, primarily to avoid competition and conflict with the children's biological father.
9. They want to become a homeowner before they become a husband. Being established financially is an important goal many men want to achieve before they marry.
10. Men want to enjoy the single life as long as possible, especially as they become accustomed to having their own space and routines and not being responsible to anyone else.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried to explain the same things to a friend the other day. Now I have a study to back me up...yay!

Blondie... said...

I have to admit that I don't disagree with the list. There are so many complexities with saying "I do" that it makes the single life or living together lifestyle very attractive. Of course I don't believe in soul mates or Mr. Right either...lol ;-)

Anonymous said...

That list makes sense to me. Now I have to find a 34yr-old+ man who owns his own property, and will give me no cause to change him.

Booster MPS said...

#5 clearly is the big one for me. Honestly I would say that for that reason also that most women don't settle down either.

Sky said...

I don't disagree with the list either. I guess that means I should start dating older men and stay away from the mid 20s? Nah, I like the 20s too much, which reminds me I have to go check on beer boy.