Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Nicaragua

In 1995 I had the opportunity to spend two weeks in Nicaragua with a family in Managua. A great country that when spoken of people automatically conjure up bad images of Sandanistas with guns and drug lords. There's alot more to the populace than what the outside world thinks or what is shown to us by the media.

Anyway back to the story my time in the country was wonderful. I remember one day the mother of the family I was staying with asked me in Spanish "Es usted a casa enfermo?", which in English is "Are you home sick?" I told her I wasn't and she nodded ok and went about her way. I went out that day and ventured through the country side running into some guerillas and the such. Upon my return that night Anna, the mother, had gone out to the local store and bought a Coca Cola and some cheese and made me a grilled cheese sandwich. It was one of the most thoughtful things ever done for me.

I haven't spoken or traded any mail with them since 1998.

3 comments:

j said...

That's so sweet!

Caterpillar said...

This is the sweetest little story!!! I'm all filled with good feelings after reading it! :)

A friend of mine spent a couple weeks vacation in Nicaragua and loved it - the scenery as well as the people. It's one of the countries I want to visit.

WanderingGirl said...

I hear they still deliver mail to Nicaragua.