Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Q

I had the Motorola Q in my hand last night and ready to take home. I had been shopping for a new phone for the last month and this thing kept popping up into my head saying "Buy me". It's the siren of cellphones. Luring you in with all of it's functions from email, to camera phone, to the ability to read Fuggo while on the road. If this phone had boobs I would have bought it. But then something happened to me. The sales guy started reading off how much it was going to cost to purchase and how much a month my plan would be. The phone was going to be $199 to buy with a 2 year agreement and then be $79.99 for unlimited net use and the standard phone plan. Then he states that the accessories are $75 more and that their Bluetooth enabled! Ooh wow I thought for a second but then I said fuck this! With the phone in my hand I turned to the guy and said I don't want it. I don't want to have the internet with me at all times. I don't need to access my email 24/7. For those of you who email me think about how often I respond to them? Exactly so why would I want that function on my phone if I'm never going to use it? $80 a month is alot of dough. I currently pay $35 a month and I'm happy with that. I don't talk on the phone enough let alone browse the internet or email enough to justify the cost.

So I handed back the phone and instead got the cheapest little phone I could find. It makes phone calls, wakes me up when I set the alarm and best of all it has the same bowling game that my old phone had. Yup in the end it was the stupid bowling game that made my decision on a new phone purchase. I'm too easy.

7 comments:

Ellie Creek Ellis said...

good choice!

i'm waiting to hear another cool tune!

Booster MPS said...

These all in one super gadgets have been calling me for a while now but I have yet to get one. I have a cheap phone and also a cheap Palm M series PDA for all my contacts. Until somebody comes up with a cheap solution that is not tied to one provider, forget about it.

PG said...

I totally hate the all-in-one stuff. I 100% agree with you... why do you need to be online 24/7? All I need in my cell phone is my address book, my alarm clock, and the occasional tip calculator!
NTW, I just bought a new cell phone too!
Also, the reception in those new gadgets aren't all that great anyway...
I am a BIG believer in KISS.
Keep It Simple, Stupid.
;)

Blondie... said...

You're easy huh? Hmmm ;-)

I have a cheapo phone and well, I've been tempted by the alluring bells and whistles of the newer cells... My cell does have a cam and net access... But not like browser abilities to view blogs and such. It gets the job done.

Phain said...

I still can't get the image of a cell phone with boobs out of my head...

As long as I have unlimited text messaging I'm happy. I text like a friggin 14 year old.

Networkchic said...

Those phones are so cool...but way over priced. Just wait 6 months and the price and the plan will go down. :-)

ram2600 said...

I would say you made a good call for yourself, if you are not going to use it why waste the cash... plus its to advanced for you.. lol

I have to say I do love my Q, and this the last day of the return window its a keep'r