Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Offal

Today we're serving Scrapple. What you've never heard of the stuff? Scrapple maybe the greatest breakfast food you've never had. Now before I get into telling you what scrapple actually is I should tell you to look past the ingredient list and just try some. It's a pork product that comes from... ahh fuck it here's what's on the Wiki for it...

Scrapple is typically made of hog offal, such as the head, eyes, heart, liver, bladder, and other scraps, which are boiled with any bones attached (often the entire head), to make a broth. Once cooked, bones and fat are discarded, the meat is reserved, and (dry) cornmeal is boiled in the broth to make a mush. The meat, finely minced, is returned, and seasonings, typically sage, thyme, savory, and others, are added. The mush is cast into loaves, and allowed to cool thoroughly until gelled.

Now I know your basically saying "Fuck you k o w if you think I'm going to eat that shit." and I'd be in agreement with ya if I had never been exposed to it before. Yes basically it's everything not used on the pig chopped up, boiled, and then mixed with cornmeal and gelled together into a small gray brick. Not appetizing for sure but the flavor of the stuff is second to none.

I prepare mine much in the way everyone else does. I slice the loaf into quarter inch patties and fry it up. Put it on the plate with some scrambled eggs and top the whole lot with ketchup.

13 comments:

lolly said...

Oh god I think i'm going to vomit!!!!

PG said...

OMG this is hilarious and SO ironic you posted on it!
Remember when I got stuck in Philly a few weeks back before my vacation and I tried to contact you? Well, for breakfast, my friend and I went to this god-for-saken DIVE in Philly and the waitress served us scrapple.
We both tried it (frankly, it reminds me of hash browns).
The hole scene was fun and the waitress was pleasant and teased us about trying it and not worrying about what was in it.
Hell, it can't be worse than spam, right?
Well, NOW I know the truth...
(...puking in post-horror-laden fear).
I am SO going to email her this definition...!!!

Sky said...

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. I have heard what is in it before and frankly the ingredients do make me want to vomit but I would always at least try it. Anything fried must be good?

kimmyk said...

i'd need a whole fucking bottle of ketchup on that nasty ass shit.

Blondie... said...

I call that stuff head cheese... Its hogs head and I have no idea where the cheese part comes to the title...

My mom eats it...

Personally...

I can live without ever eating it...

EVER

lol

Ladyred said...

oh it is actually quite good. all that weird stuff that sounds so gross is actually quite tasty! lol some of ya might not even know what you are eating haha. there was something else that was made of weird stuff but tastes so good but i can't remember for the life of me....

is what is on Wiki actually on the package? cause any ole joe schmo can post things in Wiki, right or wrong, not an ideal source.

Phain said...

no way in hell i'd ever eat that

j said...

Ugh.

I don't eat pig at all so I'll never be trying this.

Brandon Cackowski-Schnell said...

This must be a PA thing. My dad is from Johnstown (western PA) and he loves scrapple. I tried some of his the last time we went fishing together and it was like tasting evil.

Polt said...

Being from south central PA (just a bit west of Gettysburg) I know ALL about scrapple! Can't stand to even look at it, although my parents LOVE it!

I do, however, love Hog Maw. Loved it since I was a kid, and had I known what it was then, I probably wouldn't have eaten it. But now, love it! :)

Caterpillar said...

Ewwwww, this sounds so gross!! It sounds very German - the whole head cheese thing in a loaf. Blech!

Booster MPS said...

All I will say is "Roll Tide".....what does your kitchen smell like after that?

landry said...

OH GOD!!!!
SCRAPPLE?!?!??!
i was tortured by that as a kid
my father grew up in germantown and everytime anyone would come from Philly to visit they would bring it to him. its little yellow and red package promising nausea and bad smells
and?!?!? my mother allowed this to happen.
ABUSE i say!