Wednesday, July 19, 2006

It was 1994 and I had convinced her to walk with me all the way down the Wildwood beach. I had scouted a location at the very end of the sandy isle that looked out over the western bay as the sun went down. When we got there I busted open a bottle of wine, a simple merlot, I had smuggled from a friends liquor cabinet and we proceeded to just knock back the bottle without the use of glasses. It was so simple of a moment. Blazing orange sky, complete innocence, and an overwhelming sense of peace. We just sat there watching the tide and sharing banter back and forth and the occasional odd but oh so nice incidental contact. The kind where someone could touch your elbow yet you feel it everywhere in your body. The slight breeze coming off the ocean called for me to wrap my shirt around her as goosebumps rised over her skin. And we just sat there, kissing, groping, snuggling after awhile and finishing a bottle of "borrowed" wine wondering if we'd ever get the chance again to be right there in that moment.

We never did.

I left Wildwood the next day like I did each of the previous 5 years there. Wondering if I would ever get back to that point on the bay at the southern tip of the island the next year. I never did, but I think it's high time I did and I know just with who too.

7 comments:

Phain said...

*raises hand&

Take Me! Take Me! Take Me!

places like that make me inhale deeply and *~*sigh*~*

finally forgiving said...

is it me? you're taking me right?

Sky said...

Take me! You know you want to.

That story reminds me of so many summers in the Keys. Same guy every year. I wonder where he is now.

Anonymous said...

On an earlier post - I too like the doctor-in-my-head. So much more helpful than those University doctors.

Easier to get an appointment too.

Like your blog - shamelessly, because it is similar to mine - enjoyed reading what I think of as a strong "male" voice, when so many blogs (even those written by men) are "female" voice.

Caterpillar said...

Are you going to bring a ring???!

kimmyk said...

12 years later?

Dude you got it bad.

I'll leave the light on.

Ellie Creek Ellis said...

i like female voices!

i like male voices!