Monday, August 01, 2005

What does fuggo mean?

Well apparently it means "to flee" or "I escape" in Italian. If you know me then you know I haven't a clue about how to speak Italian. While I'm half decent in a couple of foreign languages Italian was not one I grew up with around me. Spanish? check. French? Grew up with that one too. Mandarin Chinese? Hell yeah. See I grew up with a group of buddys that when we all hung out could have made for a UN summit. We had a person of almost every different ethnicity represented. Through them I picked up a number of foreign languages. Those were good times.

I came up with the term "Fuggo" a long time ago while playing hockey one night. We were playing a team and I got a 2 minute penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct for telling a guy on the other team "Next time you go near the boards I'm going to fucking smash you." Well the ref didn't think that was nice, especially coming from a 14 year old kid. So I then came up with "Fug" as way to skirt the whole "Fuck" issue while playing. Fuggo came about via hockey because I started saying "That guy just got Fuggo'd!" when there would be a big hit on the ice.

So there you have it. The origin of the name "Fuggo" for this here site. I want to thank the reader who contacted me via IM for asking about it. I have no idea who you are but cheers nonetheless.

3 comments:

Aaron said...

LOL, truth be told!

I wondered the same thing, thanks to whomever for asking the question for us!

Silver said...

I figured it was another way of saying "Fucko". lol

Frozin said...

You were kinda right Dave...

I've been getting random people on my site too. Kinda wicked. =P