Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Adrenaline

It is an amazing chemical. Also known as Epinephrine the hormone is produced by the suprarenal gland and released by neurons to regulate activity of target tissues (e.g. brain cells, muscle cells,...). (Thanks Wiki!)

This stuff powered me late last night. After a long, very frustrating day I was pushed over the edge at 9:15pm. I nearly grabbed my newly purchased war hammer to start swinging at things in my place. Instead I put on my cross trainers and went outside. On the sidewalk in the rain I could feel my body amping itself up. All of the days frustration was being channeled into my legs. Then it flipped. That little switch inside of my brain that says "Madman Mode" on it had gone from one side to the other. I started running. No warm up, no stretching I just went. The rain beating down harder and harder I continued on. I found my body driving itself to the local park. My brain was no longer in control, it was simply a passenger on a runaway train with no stoppping in sight. My legs kept pumping as I leaped over trash cans with but a thought and ducked under tree branches with a 6th sense of some sort. In front of me lay a hill with an incline close to 70 degrees. My brain said no way in this weather but again the body didn't hear it and up it went using my arms to dig into the turf as I neared the top. On top of the hill my legs didn't stop. My brain showed it a playground was 30 yards ahead and off my body sped. Leaping and grabbing one of the swingsets chains my body used it to carry me over a 4 foot wall onto the main playground area. Reaching out to grab the cold steel of the monkey bars my body started doing pull ups as fast as it could. Once finished the beast now known as my body went in search of another challenge. Nearing a baseball field it decided to climb the 20 ft high fences not once or twice but three times. Following the climbing the fatigue was beginning but the adrenaline denied my body any rest. Off it went running back down the hill in the rain and cold. Leaping over the same trash cans until finally coming to stop at my back door.

Soaked, cold, and breathing heavier than ever before my body finally released control back to my brain. I went inside, through my drenched clothes into the washer and laid nude on my bed wondering what had just happened. Jeckyll and Hyde? Possibly. All I know is that I love adrenaline.

19 comments:

Blondie... said...

Sometimes I run to get away from myself and sometimes its that slow & steady run that just relaxes you through. I do happen to love the rush of adrenaline also and I love running.

I bet and hope you slept really well.

Networkchic said...

Wow, it's a good thing no kids were in the playground. They might have yelled, "mommmy there's a crazy man climbing our swings, run." Sounds like a good drug.

TJ said...

"...and Sunday could see a chance of showers.

And in local news, police have released a sketch of a male in his late 20's who was seen late last night running around area playgrounds and climbing fences with a war hammer strapped across his back. Authorities say you should consider him armed & dangerous, and overly-caffeinated, and should remain indoors until he is apprehended, or at least comes down from his adrenaline rush."

Anonymous said...

and I love it when you lay naked with me
k o w ;)

Sky said...

Boy, wish I was adrenaline...lol

WDKY said...

I don't know about adrenaline, but it's lucky you didn't grab the war hammer... the kitchen table would have collapsed ;-)

ladylongfellow said...

Adranaline or not..I would have had to stop and swing for a bit at the playground. Well,hopefully your run made you feel better.

kimmyk said...

You sound EXACTLY like my honey. He will run and run and come home and then he thinks he can do anything. Prancing around naked in the bedroom like he's Rocky Balboa. It's insane what Adrenaline does to ya.

When I hear that lil voice in my head that says "go go go" I go home and shut it up with a snickers bar.

TJ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
TJ said...

It sounds like you need to work off some of that pent-up energy on a paintball field. Just let me know the next time you're going.

And I definitely want to make sure that I'm on your team if we play--in your condition you could wipe out a whole squad single-handedly...

k o w said...

It's true TJ, I am pretty effing awesome when slinging paint. And that maybe just what I need this weekend.

NewYorkMoments said...

"Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound..."

TJ said...

if you decide to go, give me a heads-up. I could burn off some excess steam myself--and if we joined forces, it sounds like we could kick some serious paintball ass.

those poor bastards on the other team would have no idea what they're in for... lol

Sky said...

Awww, I want to play. I have never tried paintball.

k o w said...

Paintball to me is the ultimate sport for a workout of both the mind, body, and spirit. I'd love to bring anyone to a game with me who's interested in it.

Anonymous said...

You want to sling paint with TJ when you can lay naked with me all weekend, or do you want to include TJ and make it a threesome?

k o w said...

I don't know who you are adrenaline but that sounds wait to kinky for me sir.

Galen said...

Ah, the drug we get when we scare the shit out of ourselves.

jamwall said...

you weren't by chance in somekind of altered state from being in a sensory deprivation chamber?

while you were running like a madman and hanging on the monkey bars, did you notice any additional amount of body hair? such as "monkey capacity" hair?

i think your primal transition turned you into a wild cro-magnon man? notice any wild animal blood anywhere?

well, probably not. but ya never know. when this happened to me, i woke up naked in the local zoo. i think i might have slaugtered a couple of zebras!