Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Changed by a Woman

Working on cars is something we excel at here on Fuggo. We can do just about anything to a car and we're very proud of that fact.

Once upon a time we went to Pep Boys to pick up new wiper blades and an air filter. It was going to be a walk in the park. So I bought my items and decided to replace everything in the parking lot since it had just stopped raining. With the hood up I had installed the new air filter in 4 minutes. While under there I checked all of my fluids and inspected the belts, all were fine. Now onto the wiper blades. I reach out and pull the driver side one off. Easy! I then rip open the package of my shiny new blade and start the install. "Hmmmm how did that one come off? Why isn't this thing going on? Damn it! This is tough! Why I oughta! ROAR!" Now I rarely get to the boiling point. You won't find a more patient person around but this wiper blade was kicking my ass. I determined it had to be the blades fault and I decide to return it to Pep Boys after 10 minutes of fighting with it.

In the store the sales girl is kind and says "No problem". I run to the back of the store and buy the next grade up in wiper blades because it looks like it has the proper attachment. Check out again and away I go to the parking lot for round 2. "Motherf*cker!" I say to myself as this blade isn't going on either. I put on the other attachment and still this thing won't install! "Fuck, shit, motherfucker bitch, argh!!!" I scream as I'm about ready to kick my truck. "Deep breath here" I think to myself. Let's try this again and so I did. 5 minutes later I'm nearly a whimpering mess. Nearly beaten by wiper blades.

So with my tail stuck squarely between my legs I limp back into Pep Boys to ask for help. The service manager says he'll send someone out and not to worry people have problems with them all the time. So I return to my truck and wait. Next thing I know the sales girl is already installing the first blade, now the second blade. "Damn that was fast!" I say under my breath. She asks me if there would be anything else I need help with and I decline. I turn to see the entire service staff watching as the sales girl installed my wiper blades for me in just a little over 30 seconds. Yeah I won't be going to that Pep Boys anymore. Following that day I forced myself to learn everything there is to know about changing wiper blades.

15 comments:

Sky said...

Ahh, yes the terror of wiper blades. My wiper blades have lasted 5 years (do you believe it?)but are in dire need now. I have bought replacements that are currently sitting on the floorboard of my truck because I hate to tackle them. I would much rather change a tire, then change those damn things. So I will make you a deal, you come down and change my wiper blades and I will make it worth your while. I promise not to show you up and do it myself :)

k o w said...

Deal, I can change wiper blades with my eyes closed now.

TJ said...

"Would the custodian please report to the parking lot--we need a cleanup of male ego in aisle 5..."

TJ said...

actually, I'll admit defeat myself. I had the exact same problem in the parking lot of a Pep Boys near my place--it takes a Nascar pit crew to be able to put those things on.

how was paintball this weekend?

Networkchic said...

Ha ha ha. You should marry that woman.

kimmyk said...

i'm sure that hurt.

i wouldn't go back either. i'm sure they talked about you for days....yah dont go back there.

finally forgiving said...

LOL -- I'm sure the girl didn't mean to install them that fast and make you look bad.....

ram2600 said...

damn man, and I respected you once. Well thats gone now... So after that did you go to Macys and by a new Sunday Dress... hahahah

Of course she did it fast on purpose, a guy in the parking lot looking pathetic while attempting to put on Wiper blades is bad for business...

K O W, you this is all in jest right...

ladylongfellow said...

You should of asked that salesgirl out for lunch or dinner -you might need her "services" again!

WDKY said...

KOW, you need to work on that ego, my fiend. I'd have been made damn sure I got her number.

CatSpit said...

You're joking, right? They just clip on for fucks sake man! Tell me you were drunk, hallucinating, or momentarily blind..

k o w said...

Gentlemen this is a true story. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get those goddamn wipers on.

TJ, paintball was the best it's ever been. Outstanding.

TJ said...

yeah, the weather was perfect in the Poconos this weekend--were you playing at Skirmish?

Let me know the next time you go up--I definitely would be up for it. It's always better to go with a group.

Blondie... said...

Ahhh, the art of changing wiper blades still eludes me. I usually cave and flirt with the nearest attendant... and he/she changes them for me. I do tip though. I can't do it. I just can't!

And well, blah, I've cut my fingers on those kind with clips before and I'd rather let someone else do it. Funny thing is that I can change a fuel pump...as in drop the tank, change all the seals, fix the floaters and replace the pump...my old truck still has the same pump...
But I can't change blades.

Ah well, such is life.
*btw I wouldn't go back there either!*

landry said...

HAHAHAA
every girl on these comments beat me to it!!!....
she should be Ms. Fuggo by now
(or you know...you COULD take her name. She does seem to be the more 'butch' of the 2 of you
xoxoxoxox