Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Ever ride the worm?

Now drag your minds out of the gutter! I'm talking about that toy worm everyone seemed to have in their backyard in the 70's and 80's. Hasbro's Inch Worm riding toy! You knew you were the coolest toddler on the block when riding this bad boy. Screw the other kids and their plastic tired big wheels. You went at your own pace with a worm between your legs. You and your friend loved riding the worm and would frequently ride each others worms. You probably named your worm. Maybe you called it Mel, or Booboo. Maybe you called it Dick. You and your worm riding friends would ride your worms behind bushes where you would experiment with curse words you saw on Bugs Bunny like "Ass" and "Jackass". Oh those were the days weren't they? Your now remembering how much you enjoyed riding your worm, knodding your head up and down in that rhythmic motion you remember so well. Isn't it funny how somethings never change?

13 comments:

Blondie... said...

Talk about going back... I think I just had visions of She-ra, A-Team & Airwolf!! hahaha

I was the proud owner of a big wheel too.

*sigh*

Those were the days eh?

TJ said...

--and those handheld Mattel electronic football games, the Six-Million Dollar man action figure, and those sleds that you just stretched out from a roll of blue plastic (I think the official brand name was 'Death on Snow'...)

Sky said...

Hmm...I remember StarBrite, my Holly Hobbie oven, my neighborhood boys, air hockey, Duck Duck Goose, my pogo stick (obviously not in chronological order)...ahh those were the days...the biggest thing you had to worry about was whether or not you could stay up past bedtime to watch some cartoon on tv.

WDKY said...

I don't think we rode worm over here. Makes me think we missed out on something important, though.

NewYorkMoments said...

Oh yeah...You TOLD me you had a gigantic worm...But you never told me it had wheels!

WDKY said...

Did you guys have Space Hopper?

Networkchic said...

Oh my gosh I loved my worm. I still remember how excited I was when I woke up on Christmas morning to find that big green worm...waiting for me. Why don't they make those anymore?

TJ said...

Too many product liability lawsuits. Apparently there is a negligent design flaw that makes them dangerous at speeds over 30 m.p.h., and adding front and side impact airbags would just be too cost-prohibitive.

f@cking lawyers...

serenah said...

err...no strawberry shortcake or smurfs??

jamwall said...

you wanna own the 2-wheeled variety. more than that, then you're a freak of nature.

Kate B. said...

Space Hopper! Yay!

Can you get them for adults? I would so love one.

ladylongfellow said...

I didn't have a worm, but I did have a bouncy ball. I guess I was deprived? Then there was the big wheel with the lever you pulled on the side to spin out -I loved that thing! Then there was Atari.......ahhh.....

LSG said...

Man.. I wanted a worm. Wanted one bad.

And whenever I play World of Warcraft (which of course I do all the time) and get behind an orc riding his wolf, I think of those damn worms.

Sorry, you just gotta see it to understand. LOL