Thursday, December 29, 2005

Big Cat Falls

It's going to be opening this Spring and not soon enough if you ask me. I've missed the big cats since they left America's first zoo over a year ago so that their new exhibit could be built. Sure there were cheetahs and a jaguar still on exhibit but they do nothing but lie there and pose for photos. Boring. At least now this new exhibit gives me the potential to get some up close shots of the beasts without bars showing up in the photo. I like that. The new exhibits will emulate the animals natural enviroment lending to a safari like experience for the guest. Sounds like everyone wins here. But what about the other animals?

Everytime I visit the zoo I always end it with the bearded pigs. The poor beasts are a little off the beaten path in the zoo and the way the crowds flow through the park very little traffic comes their way. But I like them. They're ugly and have a little stench to them but that's more the mud wallow than the beast. One of the smarter animals in the zoo they are generally pretty socialable and active except in the middle of the day in the summers. Often times you can just walk right up to their enclosure and not have to worry about other guests ruining your view of them. It's usually pretty quiet The pigs will look at you wondering why your there and not looking at some of the other more compelling animals the zoo has on display. I can't blame them for thinking that. I just wish they had a tree to catch some shade under. If only they were a big cat.

3 comments:

j said...

that pig is oddly cute. i've never seen one and i'm pretty sure we don't have them at our zoo.

Danielle said...

I sooooooo love the zoo and haven't been there in years. Remember the prymate thing burnt down?

Tevin said...

Why does it appear to have giant testicles as his chin?