Thursday, December 22, 2005

Cookie guards my spot


Since the age of 2 my spot under the christmas tree has been guarded by Cookie Monster. I was given the ornament by Santa that year and since then he's been on sentry duty watching over them with big googly eyes.

My personal tradition is to not put him up on the tree until Christmas Eve. Right around 8pm that night I will unwrap him from last year's tissue paper and place him on the lowest hanging branch that is strong enough to hold him. While I'm doing it I'll probably do my famous Cookie Monster impression while drinking a glass of milk. It's tradition.

Every year since I get something with Cookie Monster on it. Slippers, pajamas, boxers you name it I've gotten it. This muppet rocks chomping away at everything that gets in his path. I love him. As I've gotten older I've grown to appreciate the innocence the blue furball posseses. I strive each year to retain that innocence myself and find each year it's getting harder and harder.

Anyone else have a personal tradition?

6 comments:

Networkchic said...

That's such a cute tradition. Every year my mom and I used to unwrap the ornaments and look at each one, remembering the year we bought it. Now I do that with my daughter.

Sky said...

No, I wish I did...I hope to someday have a family to start our own traditions. I do, however, have only characters (Looney Tunes, Mickey Mouse, Disney, etc.) on my tree...no big blue balls for me :) My favorite is a couple of elves standing on a pool table playing pool.

Blondie... said...

Thats an adorable tradition.

My mom always cooks oyster stew & such. We open one present.

Since being on my own though... The only tradition I have is to drink some kind of warm toddy and wonder what it would be like to be a child again. Like you said, its harder each year to remember quite the innocence that was possessed.

However, I have my own darling son now and to see the raw emotions that aren't suppressed...He's all heart and that gives me hope for a merry holiday.

What a fun and thought provoking post K.O.W. I don't know that you meant it to be that, but its how I took it.

((hugs))

landry said...

wooohooo
i have a very similar tradition.
i have an ornament that i painted when i was really little and we used to try to get the front center spot on the tree. whoever got theirs there first won.
im not sure what "won" means...we didn't get anything for it.
now in addition to that one, i have about 10 differnt varieties of moose ornament. They were all given to me over the years to represtent Moufa.
now people give me horse ornaments for Breakfast.
happyhappyhappy babay!!!!
enjoy your milk and maybe you should take video of your little cookie monster dance.
xoxoxoxoo

Brandon Cackowski-Schnell said...

Two actually. When I got married, my mom gave me and Linda all of the Sesame Street ornaments that I had as a kid. Every year they go up on the tree. Cookie Monster rocks!

We also have an ornament that's a little bear in a clear, plastic globe. We call him Bubble Bear. On the day that we take down the tree, we always take Bubble Bear down first, take him out of his bubble and let him taste sweet freedom until the tree is down. Then he's bubbled back up and put back in storage. I like to think that he's agoraphobic and prefers to be in his bubble, except for those few, character strengthening hours every year.

WDKY said...

You're completely mad, of course. Have a great Christmas, and I'll keep the beers on ice for next year.