Friday, February 10, 2006

Urban Under

It was about 28 degrees last night as I pulled my bike up under the giant paper clip just north of City Hall. All the regulars were there. Most of them were bike messengers who do nothing but pedal all day while the others were a hodge podge of young and old. "Ok the race ends at 2nd and Lombard, first person there takes the mug." It was the mug I had come for. In years past I had gotten close to winning it but always fell short. I was one of the few entering the race on a BMX frame. Most competed aboard road bikes but I used my bike to take curbs and small jumps on my way to the end point. "Riders ready, please remember this is outlaw, ride safely and avoid all pedestrians." I gripped my bars tight and got ready to take off. The whistle blew and I took off heading towards Samson St figuring there would be less traffic that way. I hopped up on the curb and started weaving in and out of people, trash cans, and street signs. Making the right onto 8th St. I looked and could see no one coming this way. Interesting I thought but what the hell I was pedaling harder now than I ever had before in a mug race. I pulled onto Lombard St with 6 blocks ahead of me. Full sprint. The crank on my Haro Tr2.2 was spinning faster and harder than it has in a long time. I could feel the beads of sweat run down my face. As I neared 3rd St I could see two of the other racers cross the street. Dammit, I wasn't going to win but I was determined to finish it hard. The light at the intersection turned green as I approached and I bunny hopped off the curb and repeated the move on the other side of the street. I finished 5th out of 12. Not a win but not a loss in my book either. Last night was my first race in nearly 2 years of this type. I only got back into it as a classmate of mine was talking about running in it. It felt good. Sweating in 20 degree weather under the moonlight after racing through one of the most historic areas in the new world is something I think everyone should do once. After the race we all retired to the Artful Dodger where everyone enjoyed a beer and then pedaled home. Next month I plan on winning.

Remember folks theres always time to sit on your ass when your dead.

8 comments:

... j said...

Hells yeah man! There's always time to sit on your ass when you're dead. :) Next time, youll get 3rd, then 2nd and then the mug. If you want I can take the chinatown bus down to philly and sabotage the other bikes. ;)

k o w said...

Lets do it. I'll treat you to a beer out of the mug.

Networkchic said...

Congrats for getting off your arse. I wish I had your motivation but I reallllly hate the cold.

kimmyk said...

Yeah I'm with NWC. I'm proud of ya if that matters...but I don't really participate in sports until it's at least 65 degrees outside. But go you!

WDKY said...

Excellent! I'm well into cycling these days (remember that bike I bought a while back) and it's a great way to get around, stay fit, have some fun... and get competitive too! Well done, 5th seems pretty good (for starters).

Blueprincesa said...

Ha! When you said 28 degrees, I was like, holy shit that's hot! How is it that hot in that part of the world in the middle of winter? And then I realised you meant 28 degrees FAHRENHEIT.

PG said...

congrats, k o w!
Good for you!
I wish I had such motivation as well.
Now here's my challenge: Can you race that puppy to Boston???
You could raise money!
From one historic city to another!
And the drinks are on me!

Danielle said...

its cold as hell out u nuts lmao!!! how bout the 16 inches of snow we got! sorry i been mia!!! missed ya