Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Hmmm...

"Yes Mr. (kow) we were wondering if you could come in for another donation."
But I'm not due to donate again until April I believe correct?
How's next week for you, Tuesday?
That's fine, see you then.

I walked into the office that following Tuesday and signed in. I had been donating for about 4 years and always wondered where it had gone after that. Sitting in the waiting room by myself I flipped through an "Outdoors" magazine and was enjoying the article reviewing hiking boots when I was called. I went into the backroom and asked the nurse why I was called back early for a donation. "Could be any reason really, they may have lost your previous one, used it, or they could be trying to bolster the amount in storage." Ok I thought and I went about the donation process. Quick and painless as always, both good things.

I settled up with the front desk and walked to the elevator and hopped on. As the doors were closing I heard "Hold that elevator" and proceeded to hit the button to open the door. "Thanks" stated the woman who walked in. She was dressed in a business suit with a nice skirt on, very professional. "Do you know of any good coffee places around here?" she asked. "There's a place right across the street from this building actually that has a great Hazelnut." I replied. "Cool thanks, can I buy you one?" Startled by the question but always one for a Hazelnut I agreed. What the hell I figured I was off for the rest of the day with no plans. Together we walked across the street and into the shop where we sipped coffee for about an hour. She was very inquisitive asking my thoughts on the topics of the day, where was I from, and where I went to school but never once asking my name. After awhile I felt like it was an interview but was enjoying it figuring what the hell, she didn't know my name. I finished my coffee and wished her well and she stood up with me to get ready to leave. As we walked out the door she turned to me and asked me "What's your father's middle name?" I told her and started to walk away wishing her well. I made it to the end of the block and turned around to find her turned around looking at me. She smiled and signed "Thank You" to me before turning around.

On the way home I started to analyze the whole afternoon. From the request to come in to make another donation, to the sudden save at the elevator, to the offer of coffee and the interview following. It all seemed too much of a coincidence. Then it dawned on me what was happening... she was going to have my baby.

13 comments:

Networkchic said...

No way...

kimmyk said...

you gotta be kiddin me.

was she a nurse? hmm...most interesting.

and you blogged it? wtf. i'd be chasing her down. did you make any phone calls? shit, now what are ya gonna do. if you ever see her again and she's got a bump then whatcha gonna say?

oh...lord.

Tevin said...

I'm gonna vote on "creative writing"... although that would be rather strange if it really did happen.

Antek said...

thank you KOW for blessing our home... the little lady and I were happy to find out that it was you who was the doner that granted us the gift of a family.

Galen said...

That was well written. I knew what the donation clinic thing was without reading on, but you zinged me at the end with that heart stopping twist.

Your life is so exciting. =]

Tevin said...

wow crazy! That would be weird! Eek

kimmyk said...

You say you're "struggling"...but at some point if you're making "donations" you'd have to know at some point someone would benefit from your generosity. The weird thing is-you're suppose to remain annon. or so I thought to prevent feelings such as this.......I'd be wigged out too....

If you've donated quite often...and they called ya back- Seems whoever looked through the book was diggin' what you had to offer to the gene pool.

I've seen some people who clouded the gene pool...sad situation. *shudders*

2 months huh? very interesting.

Brandon Cackowski-Schnell said...

Actually, she's not having your baby, she's having her baby. It stopped being your's as soon as you handed over the cup.

k o w said...

Good point Joe.

Caterpillar said...

Wow, that's amazing! And a little strange! You've put a "face" to guys who donate, which I always have been a little confused by.

Sky said...

Thanks for having coffee with me and quite frankly I would have rather experienced it the old fashioned way instead of you donating it from a cup.

ladylongfellow said...

Well, fresh samples are best, ya know! You got free coffee out of it, conversation -she should have given you a cigar or something!

WDKY said...

Don't tempt providence. Trust me.

Oh, and thanks - I've always wondered what those sperm banks were like.