Sunday, January 08, 2006

Who me?

Out of no where they told me I was going to be next up there doing karaoke. "What? I'm not drunk enough yet." I replied while downing another porter. "You weren't always drunk back when you fronted S.E.MF." Fuck they had me cornered now as they were right. So the host called my name and I downed a shot and chugged the rest of the beer. The crowd clapped as I walked from the table.

As I got up on stage I was told what song I'd been signed up for, David Grey's "Babylon" a song I knew but had never really performed before outside of the shower. "Hi everyone, that table over there put me up here for this song, if I fug it up throw the beers their way, here we go." The music started as I pulled the stool over to sit on. Staring at the screen the words started to dance and all of a sudden I found myself suddenly not needing them. The lyrics were just flowing from me in an eruption of pure karaoke madness. I kicked the stool to the side and walked down into the crowd and started singing with the rest of the crowd in the club. Seems more people knew the lyrics than I thought as the place erupted with people chiming in from everywhere. I'm sweating like a pig but not caring. Hopping back onto the stage to finish the song the crowd quieted down as I finished it off by myself. Hands start to clap and I hear whistles. "Thanks folks, try the beef." I said as handed the mic back over to the host.

"That was actually pretty good" I'm told as I get back to the table. I'm still shaking.

11 comments:

Caterpillar said...

You were the frontman in a band? That's so cool!! If I were given a few completely selfish wishes, one would be to have an amazing singing voice!

Danielle said...

Haaaaaaa!!! I love karaoke!!!!! morning!

k o w said...

Good morning.
I don't normally do them but the performance was pushed onto me. I did alright.

jamwall said...

if karoke had more cowbell, i'd be totally on-board!

landry said...

uh oh
that sounds like the begining of the end.
once you get the taste of your first kill...
you will be running a karaoke night in NO time.
Thats what happened to my mother.
and they don't have rehab for karaoke.

WDKY said...

Great stuff. I actually like DG but for god's sake don't tell anyone.

By the way, that's a lovely photo... where is it?

k o w said...

I won't tell if you won't tell Ant.
That photo wa sent to me the other day in an email. I'll track down the location and post it.

Blueprincesa said...

That's a good song. Did you know that it's about the Glastonbury Festival? He wrote it when he was performing there, about the big stretch of shops and clubs below the Green Feilds, near the stages.

kimmyk said...

*flicking my bic and throwin up my rock fists*

You're so cool !

Tevin said...

Nows the time for a video blog. Cause I'd LOVE to see that.

... j said...

I love karaoke, its so much fun :) I recently even found out I have a fan, which was kindof scary. You should do more Karaoke man, it's good for you.