Thursday, September 15, 2005

By request...

Tell me about your 21st Birthday.
-NewYorkMoments

My birthday is January 2nd so I had been celebrating it everyday since
Christmas. The night of my birthday I was drunk but not obliterated. My buddies
dropped me off at my place around 4 am and I went straight to bed. I had an old
row home that I rented by myself and my bedroom was in the back of the house.
So I'm laying there in bed half asleep staring at the ceiling when all of a
sudden I hear a metal clang on my bedroom floor. Now I was the only one home.
Being that it was January my windows were shut as was my bedroom door. Kinda
freaked I get up and walk across the room to turn on the light. When I turn
around I could see this metal object lying directly in the middle of my floor. I
went over picked it up and it was a Shaeffers beer bottle opener from 1932.
"Cool" I thought so I placed it on my end table and went to sleep.
Next morning I went over to my mom's place for breakfast. I showed her the
bottle opener and told her the story. She recognized the opener. It looked just
like one my grandfather carried with him. Even weirder was the date. My
grandfather would have turned 21 in 1932. She asked how I really got it and I
stated that it just dropped in my room the night before, creating a sound loud
enough to get me up. She looked freaked and now I was too.
To end the story I have to give a little background. My grandfather was a drunk.
When I turned 18 he took a bad turn in regards to cancer so I took daily care of
him for the final 3 months of his life. The day he passed away I was assisting
him back into bed with the help of a hospice nurse. When we laid him down he
began to look right at me. My eyes became transfixed with his. My grandfather
was dying right before my very eyes. He stared at me as the final breath left
him. His hand near me fell and I immediately knew he was gone. I wasn't scared
though. Instead a feeling of comfort came over me and it's a feeling I'll never
forget.
So in closing once my uncles had seen the bottle opener they were convinced that
my grandfather had visited me on my 21st and gave me his bottle opener. It now
hangs above my bar and I open every beer with it. I would carry it on my key
chain but I fear losing it.

13 comments:

NewYorkMoments said...

Wow...I feel so honored! A personal request! :-)

honkeie said...

That was an amazing story..thank you for sharing...

Galen said...

That's really neat.

k o w said...

Thanks everyone. I don't know why the formatting came out like that though.

ram2600 said...

Thats a great story...

Antek said...

seriuosly great story man, thanks for sharing it

Blueprincesa said...

yeah, that's seriously amazing. And a beer bottle opener too!!! That's awesome!

Meatbag said...

My guess on the formatting is that you wrote it in notepad or something and then copied it over, which left uncessary line returns wherever the text wrapped originally (the < br>s).

Cool story.

Networkchic said...

I knew I liked you...we have the same birthday. Great story, he must be your guardian angel.

Silver said...

Pete, did you send the blog post through your e-mail? I've had that happen to me, the formatting will look like that.
Not sure what causes it. Maybe you need to send an e-mail of just text formatting, and not HTML formatted?

I dunno, just a thought.

k o w said...

Dave,

First who's Pete? And yes your right on the email. I originally sent the post out to someone here as an email and then posted it.

jamwall said...

i totally forgot about the formatting. i was too busy being enthralled (and that's not an exaggeration)!

cargwaps said...

what a great story!(it kind of freaked me out a bit)^_^ i like your writing style!if i don't watch it, i'm gonna get addicted and all your posts will have a comment coming from me. (no kidding.) i hope you'll allow me to visit again! ^___^ (i clicked on your name in blueprincesa's blog and found myself in this wonderful blog.)